Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lady of the Week and a big THANK YOU - Karen Lee Wood Cox

Birthday - June 20th

Family - Erick (husband), Kristin Young (daughter), Kasey Smith (daughter), Kimber (daughter), Kyle (son), and Kurtis (son)

How long has your husband been a firefighter and how long serving with Cedar City?

Since 2005 and he has been Hazmat trained since 2002.

How long have you been married?

We will be married 26 years on Valentine's Day

Where did you grow up? 

I was raised in Big Bear City, California for 11 years - Cedar City, UT for 6.5 years - Moved to Holden, UT for the last 6 months of my senior year and that's where I met Erick.

Do you have a favorite family tradition? If so, what is it?

Our family time is everything to us.  We have a big feast and games for New Year's Eve.  We go camping and fishing for both Easter and Memorial Day.  We picnic and fish on July 4th after we all ride in the parade.  We have a big family dinner for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We just love hanging together anytime we can find free time.

What do you like to do when you have an hour to yourself?

I love to read, sew, bake and garden, but a nap would probably be #1 on the list.

How do you spend your Saturdays? 

Most Saturdays we tend to play "catch up" from the week before.  But a trip to the lake is great motivation for people to get chores done.  And fishing with a good book is a great way to relax.

Do you work? If so, where and what is your title?

I run a licensed day care in my home with my daughter Kasey (which means I get to play with my granddaughter Jacy everyday).  I am also a shift supervisor at KFC where I work with 5 of my family members.

What is your most embarrassing moment? 

My life is full of embarrassing moments so it's hard to choose just one.  But it has taught me to be able to laugh at myself and not take life too seriously. 

If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

I have been lucky enough to go to the pioneer trek in Wyoming with my family.  My mom, sister and I have gone to Tennessee, Kentucky, North Caroline and Missouri together and to Ireland to do genealogy.  I love to travel and see and experience new cultures.  I would jump at the chance to go anywhere.

List some of your favorite movies.

Julie & Julia, Bucket List, Imagine That, Letters to Juliette, Iron Man, Blind Side, Nim's Island, Bedtime Stories

List some of your favorite books. 

Love anything by Clare Poulson or Nichola Sparks, Love the Twilight Series, Harry Potter books and the Eragon books, Love the Work and the Glory, Undaunted.  I just love to read, mystery, history, sci-fi, love story, just hand me a book and I'll read it.

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? 

I am not a big fan of ice cream.  I really don't go crazy over dessert of any kind.

What types of things would someone find in your purse?

Lotion, chapstick, lip gloss, tylenol, keys, wallet, address book, 5-pens and notepad.  Of course not money - I have teenagers.

What is one thing about yourself that you want the ladies in the auxiliary to know?

Karen didn't write anything so I wanted to use this space to give Karen a big THANK YOU for the past year.  Although I wasn't around, I could see how much time and effort you put into this auxiliary and we were lucky to have you as our president.

If any of the ladies want to leave a comment with their thoughts of thanks, feel free to do so.  I am sure Karen would appreciate it.  And maybe I can organize them into a little book or something.

No comments: